Waimangu Volcanic Valley is the perfect field trip for school groups. We can create a customised education package to meet your curriculum needs.
Our customised education packages can be tailored to a range of subjects including geography, tourism, science, sustainability and business studies. Talk to us about your learning outcomes and we will help you create an unforgettable learning experience in a unique environment.
Students will learn about:
- The world significance of the valley as the youngest geothermal system in the world, and the only to be ‘born’ by a single volcanic event
- Unique geothermal features such as the Inferno Crater, the world’s largest crypto-geyser and Frying Pan Lake, the world’s largest hot spring.
- How the botany and wildlife in the area have adapted to this unique environment
- The culture and history of an area that was home to the Pink & White Terraces and the very first European tourism in New Zealand
- The ongoing scientific monitoring and research of the geothermal and volcanic activity
- Sustainability initiatives in action at Waimangu to preserve this special area, and to ensure that tourism has as light a footprint on the environment as possible
- The tourism industry in the Rotorua area and the part that Waimangu plays
Talk to us to create a customised education package, which can include:
· Self-guided walking & hiking tour
· Guided tour with educational talks
· Boat cruise on Lake Rotomahana
· Education worksheets and resources
· Educational talks
· Packed lunch options
· RAMS information
Resources are available on the following:
- AS 91007 - Geographic understanding of environments that have been shaped by extreme natural events.
- AS91427 – Demonstrate an understanding of how a cultural process has shaped a geographic environment
- US24728 - Knowledge of the business of tourism
- US24730 - Knowledge of work roles in tourism
Safety at Waimangu
Visiting Waimangu is a safe activity providing that all participants follow and understand the safety guidelines, safety signage and instructions from staff.
Waimangu Volcanic Valley have been externally audited my EMA Health & Safety, and have also achieved Qualmark Silver status.
We can provide full RAMS information for your visit to satisfy all EOTC requirements.
Waimangu Volcanic Valley is a member of the Rotorua Education Network (REN). REN can organise accommodation, transport and full Rotorua itineraries as well as get quotes, make bookings, arrange vouchers and deal with payments.
For more information regarding school visits please contact the Rotorua Education Networks reservations team [email protected]
Contact us about your education group
* indicates required fields