Waimangu Volcanic Valley is the perfect field trip for school groups. We can create a customised education package to meet your curriculum needs.
Our customised education packages can be tailored to a range of subjects including geography, tourism, science, sustainability and business studies. Talk to us about your learning outcomes and we will help you create an unforgettable learning experience in a unique environment.
Students will learn about:
- The world significance of the valley as the youngest geothermal system in the world, and the only to be ‘born’ by a single volcanic event
- Unique geothermal features such as the Inferno Crater, the world’s largest crypto-geyser and Frying Pan Lake, the world’s largest hot spring.
- How the botany and wildlife in the area have adapted to this unique environment
- The culture and history of an area that was home to the Pink & White Terraces and the very first European tourism in New Zealand
- The ongoing scientific monitoring and research of the geothermal and volcanic activity
- Sustainability initiatives in action at Waimangu to preserve this special area, and to ensure that tourism has as light a footprint on the environment as possible
- The tourism industry in the Rotorua area and the part that Waimangu plays
Talk to us to create a customised education package, which can include:
· Self-guided walking & hiking tour
· Guided tour with educational talks
· Boat cruise on Lake Rotomahana
· Education worksheets and resources
· Educational talks
· Packed lunch options
· RAMS information
Resources are available on the following:
- AS 91007 - Geographic understanding of environments that have been shaped by extreme natural events.
- AS90702 - Understanding of how a cultural process shapes geographic environments
- US24728 - Knowledge of the business of tourism
- US24730 - Knowledge of work roles in tourism
Safety at Waimangu
Visiting Waimangu is a safe activity providing that all participants follow and understand the safety guidelines, safety signage and instructions from staff.
Waimangu Volcanic Valley have been externally audited my EMA Health & Safety, and have also achieved Qualmark Silver status.
We can provide full RAMS information for your visit to satisfy all EOTC requirements.
Contact us about your education group
* indicates required fields